Thursday, September 30, 2010

Another game, another W

Wow.  This season is starting off really well.  I had my second game of the season with Tsunami (their 3rd game) and my second win as well.  The game started off well enough, facing a few nice shots and making some good saves.  The first goal came around midway through the first period, and was a combination of my losing sight of the puck and lack of coverage in front of the net.  The player with the puck was near the right side of the net and tried to send on across the crease to his teammate.  I butterflied and stopped the pass with my pads, but then lost sight of the puck as it was in tight to my pads and I was off balance a bit.  Somehow it ended up squirting out to the player in the crease who wasn't covered and he made no mistake to put it in far side.

The second goal was again lack of coverage in front, and was kind of similar.  A player at the side of the net tried to throw it in front.  I made the initial stop, and the second, but after that I was too sprawled to be able to get my pad over to the blocker side post and he tucked it in there.  I was a little ticked at my D that he had all that time, but I'm not about to call out players.  If it continues then I will bring it up.  The third and final goal was a bad goal on my part.  The player took the shot from the top of the faceoff circle, and I guess I was a little off balance from moving because I didn't get my pad down flush to the ice, and it slid in under there.  Something was definitely off in my movement because it didn't feel like a natural butterfly.  I'll have to pay attention to if it happens again, and isolate what I am doing wrong.

After that I felt I played really well.  Most of the remaining shots were from the outside, and I got good sightlines on them, and played them with no rebounds.  I was impressed with myself for a nice reactionary glove save to a bullet that was just to the right of my head... it's amazing what reflexes can do when you just let them be!

No comments:

Post a Comment