Friday, October 8, 2010

Disappointing Loss

Last night I played with the tsunami and had a disappointing loss.  It was my first game in over a week, so I was anxious to get playing again.  Even though it had been a week I still hadn't had a chance to wash my lucky under-clothes, so I decided that I wasn't so superstitious and just used other stuff.  Now I'm wishing I hadn't.


I didn't get off to a super solid start, with a shot that came into the crease area and bounced around off a lot of skates and sticks and eventually I found my way onto my ass and the puck between my legs.  It was a stop, just not a very pretty stop.  I felt a little shaky I could tell.  I made a couple of nice saves after that to try and settle down a bit.  On one of the next rushes I went to cover the post and knocked the net off.  Not a whole lot, but enough that it bothered me.  I made the stop on that side, and then when the puck looked like it was clearing the zone, I looked back to fix the net.  Little did I know it was stopped at the blue line, and when I glanced back the shot was already coming and I couldn't get over in time to stop it.  I complained to the ref but he wasn't having any of it.  It was stupid of me to look back at the post, but they also should have called that when it happened.

The second goal was a nice shot from a player streaking down the wing that rifled it top corner.  I am large enough that I should have that angle even when down, so I'm doing something wrong there.  Third goal was off a semi-breakaway.  The guy deked the defense out, and then I went down too early and he deked me out.  4th goal was another top corner, from an even worse angle.  I should have been down in VH, but wasn't.  5th goal was a nice pass out from behind the net to a player untouched in front.  I stretched out but just didn't quite make it.  The 6th and final goal was probably the worst.  My team had a valiant effort to come from behind and pull it to within one goal.  Time was winding down and I was starting to skate off for the extra attacker.  Then I saw the other team get possession and break out of their zone, so I quickly backpeddled into the net.  I wasn't sure of my angle though so I was quickly checking behind me to verify.  He blasted a quick shot low blocker side that I should have had, but butterflied awkwardly.  That was the final nail in the coffin as the time wound down in the game.

All in all not a terrible game (like that 8-5 loss) but still one I'd like to have been better for.  I think we could have beaten that team and I hate to lose those ones.  Guess tonight I'll be making sure that I have my lucky under-clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment